Title : Registration of Korean Cultural Treasures as Parts of the World Heritage  (View Souvenir Sheet)
Stamp Serial#
2297 
KPC#
C-1774 
MICHEL#
2324 
StanGib#
MS-2678b 
Scott#
2111b 
Date of Issue
12/09/2002 
Quantity
1,000,000 
Denomination
280 won 
Design
Banghwasuryu Pavilion 
Designer
Kim, Sung-Am 
Image Area
52mm*36mm 
Perforation
13 
Sheet Composition
2*5 () 
Paper
White unwatermarked
Printing process
and colors
Offset, six colors. 
Print
Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation 
Description
Hwaseong Fortress was built by King Jeongjo, the 22nd monarch of Chosan Dynasty, out of filial devotion for his ill-fated father, Prince Sado, and as a means of gaining a solid base for his royal authority. The King ordered his father's tomb be moved from Seoul to Mt. Hwasan in Suwon, and constructed the Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon to build a booming new town of his ideals.

Hwaseong Fortress, constructed over two and half years from 1794 to 1796, is fortified with a total of 48 military facilities including secret gates, command poste, watch towers, and arrow-launching platforms built along ramparts and crenellated parapets. Although part of the fortress has been lost in floods and battles, most of it has undergone renovation to retain its original appearance. Hwaseong was designed by Jeong Yak-yong, a renowned scholar who led the school of 'Pragmatical Studies', of silhak. It stands out as a military accomplishment involving the planning and construction techniques of the East and the West and well as technical innovation. The fortress was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage in 1997.

Banghwasuryu Pavilion.
Banghwasuryu Pavilion, meaning a "pavilion that seeks flowers and drivers away willows" is an irregular-shaped structure that makes perfect harmony with the surrounding exquisite scenery. The pavilion serves both as a resting spot and a surveillance area for monitoring the enemy movements during wartime. The pavilion is built of wood and bricks. The upper part of the pavilion is in the style of traditional wooden building while in the lower part, the stone border of the podium is filled with bricks.