Title:  The 50th Anniversary of Korea-Thailand Diplomatic Relations
Stamp Serial#
2643 
KPC#
C-2072 
Scott#
2295a ssm 
Date of Issue
10/01/2008 
Quantity
850,000 
Denomination
250 won 
Design
Grand Palace (Thailand) 
Designer
Mo, Ji-won 
Image Area
47mm x 27mm 
Perforation
13 
Sheet Composition
2 x 4 + 2 
Paper
White unwatermarked 
Printing process
and colors
Offset, six colors 
Print
Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation 
Description
2008 is a meaningful year that marks the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Korea and Thailand. In 1950, Thailand participated in the Korean War as a member of the UN contingent. Over more than half a century, the two countries have cemented their goodwill and friendship through active exchanges in politics, economics, social matters, culture, etc. The word Thailand stands for "the Land of Freedom." On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relationship between Korea and Thailand, in the hope that our relations with these beautiful Thai people will go to greater heights, Korea Post issues a set of joint stamps with Thailand Post that features both Changdeokgung Palace in Korea and the Grand Palace in Thailand.

Changdeokgung Palace/Juhamnu Pavilion
Built in the 5th year of King Taejong's reign during the Joseon Dynasty (in 1405), Changdeokgung Palace had been used as the "official palace" (beopgung) where the king conducted governmental affairs for 258 years from 1610 during the reign of Gwanghaegun to 1868 when King Gojong rebuilt Gyeongbokgung Palace. Famous for its rear garden that made best use of its natural topography, Changdeokgung Palace has been designated by UNESCO as a world heritage. Juhamnu Pavilion, featured in the stamp, was built in 1776 (the year of the enthronement of King Jeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty) as the royal library within the Palace. The pavilion's first floor was called "Gyujanggak" where books were kept, and its second floor was used as a reading room.

Grand Palace/Chakri Mahaprasat Hall
King Rama I, who ascended to the throne as the first king of the Charkri Dynasty after the Ayutthaya era, built a palace on the east of Chao Phraya River in 1782. The Palace is now called "the Grand Palace". The Grand Palace is 218,400? in area, has a 1,900m long wall surrounding the palace, and is famous for its "Temple of the Emerald Buddha." Chakri Mahaprasat Hall, featured in the stamp, was completed in 1882 during the reign of King Rama V and used as the King's dwelling within the palace. Even though the building was built in a western style, Chakri Mahaprasat Hall's roof is in line with Thailand's traditional architectural style.