Title:  The 100th Anniversary of the Establishment of the Shinheung Military Academy.
 
Stamp Serial#
2801 
KPC#
C-2219 
Scott#
LSN=2359 
Date of Issue
6/10/2011 
Quantity
1,000,000 ea.
Denomination
250 won ea. 
Design
The school song of the Shinheung Military Academy and Shinheung Fellow Student Corps.
Designer
Kim, Soe-jong 
Image Area
40mm × 30mm 
Perforation
13 
Sheet Composition
4 x 4 
Paper
White unwatermarked 
Printing process
and colors
Photogravure, five colors (OVI). 
Print
Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation 
Description
One hundred years ago, the Shinheung Lecture Center was established in Chugaga, Samwonpo, Yuha-hyeon, West Gando (Jiandao). Though it was named Shinheung Lecture Center to avoid the notice of Japan, what was actually opened was the Shinheung Military Academy, a military academy to nurture an army for national independence.

The 1910 treaty of merger forced by Japan deprived the Daehan Empire of its national sovereignty. In the wake of this tragedy, patriots such as Lee Hoe-Yeong, Lee Sang-Seol and Lee Dong-Nyeong reached the conclusion that to recover the lost national sovereignty, it would be indispensable to carry on the national independence movement and set up a base for the army of national independence. Under the pact with his 6 siblings that they could not live a single day under Japanese imperialism, Lee Hoe-Yeong disposed of his family’s wealth at the end of 1910 and led the six siblings' families to West Gando in Manchuria. Also, the families of Lee Dong-Nyeong and Lee Jang-Nyeong, as well as Lee Sang-Ryong and Kim Dong-Sam who used to live in the Andong region went into a self imposed exiled to West Gando. Thanks to a donation from Lee Seok-Yeong, the second brother of Lee Hoe-Yeong blessed with great wealth at the time, the Shinheung Military Academy erected its new building in Hapniha, Tonghwa-hyeon, West Gando and relocated there in 1912. As numerous youths flocked to the Academy following the March First Independence Movement, the Academy rebuilt a new building in Gosanja, Samwonpo. After Ji Cheong-Cheon, who served as an officer in the Japanese Army, joined the Academy as a drill instructor, the Academy became even more renowned.

Unlike other bases of the national independence movement in Russia and China, this Academy lasted for an extended period until 1920, producing about 3,500 graduates. Drill instructors and students of the Academy distinguished themselves in the Cheongsanni War and subsequently, the armed independence movement, and served as its core members when the Liberation Army was created in 1940. They also played a leading role in the Korean Interim Government and Righteous Patriots Corps.

The footprints of the Academy also represent the very history of Korea's independence struggle. It is hoped that the issuance of "The 100th Anniversary of the Establishment of the Shinheung Military Academy Commemorative Stamp," that features both "the lyrics of the school song of the Shinheung Military Academy" and "Shinheung Fellow Student Corps" composed of the graduates of the Academy will provide the opportunity to pay tribute to the noble spirit of the Academy as well as the brave independence fighters -- both of which have been largely forgotten by the passage of time, and to reflect on the core values that they so desperately endeavored to preserve even at the risk of their lives a hundred years ago.