Title : Registration of Korean Cultural Treasures as Parts of the World Heritage(1st)
(View Special Sheet)
Stamp Serial#
1933 
KPC#
C-1465 
MICHEL#
1957 
StanGib#
2266 
Scott#
1928a 
Date of Issue
12/09/1997 
Quantity
3,000,000 
Denomination
170 won 
Design
The main principal image of Buddha at Sokkuram Grotto 
Designer
Lee, Kyun-mun, Won, In-jae 
Image Area
26mm*36mm 
Perforation
13 
Sheet Composition
10 
Paper
White unwatermarked
Print
Korea Security Printing and Minting Corporation 
Description
World Cultural Heritage refers to cultural assets which have been recognized as having outstanding universal value worthy of protection for all humankind and selected for inclusion on the UNESCO's World Heritage list by the World Heritage Committee. These cultural assets are selected from among the artifacts of cultural heritage of the countries which are signatories to the Convention on the Protection of World Cultural and natural Heritage. The UNESCO World Heritage Committee decided at its 19th plenary session to include in the World Cultural Heritage, three Korean cultural monuments, The eighth-century artificial grotto of the Sokkuram and Pulguksa Temple in Kyongju, The 13th century woodblocks of Tripitaka Koreana and their storage building at Haeinsa Temple in Hapch'on, and The 14th century royal shrine of Chongmyo. Two special postage stamps are being issued to commemorate this occasion.

Sokkuram Grotto, "The Sublime State of Enlightenment"
The Sokkuram Grotto was built by Kim Tae-song, a high-ranking government official, in 751 A.D. during the reign of King Kyongduk of the Shilla Kingdom. The grotto was repaired several times during the Choson Dynasty and during this century. The grotto enshrines a seated Buddha at the center surrounded on the wall by a total of 39 statues of Bodhisattvas, disciples, and the guardian kings of the North, South, East, and West. The floor plan and elevation of the stone cave structure were determined according to a scientific and philosophically mathematical system, which explains the harmony of all parts and the thorough integration of the parts into the whole.

Pulguksa Temple, "The Ideal World in the Hearts of the Shilla People"
The construction of Pulguksa Temple was initiated by Kim Tae-song in 751 A.D., the tenth year of King Kyongduk's reign, and it was completed in 774 A.D. the tenth year of the reign of King Hyehong of the Shilla Kingdom. The buildings of the temple were burnt down by the Japanese in 1593 during the reign of King Sunjo of the Choson Dynasty. Some of the buildings including the main hall, Taeungjon, were later reconstructed and then fully restored to their original glory. According to the Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms, Pulguksa Temple was built by Kim to pray for his parents of this world. The prevailing feeling is, however, that the temple was actually built to pray for the country, since the construction of the temple was completed by the government after Kim's death. Enjoy the grandeur, magnificence, and beauty of balance of Pulguksa Temple.